Friday, December 21, 2012

Sleep



Sleep means safety. 

Safety from being woken.

If you are awakened, you do not sleep. You nap fitfully or you rest your head, but you have not been allowed to sleep.

Eleven years ago, I was woken for the first time. 

It became a game. 

Every morning. 

Sometimes in the middle of the night. 

More recently, before I even had a chance to rest my weary body. 

They gave me my own room, but I wasn't secure there.

They gave me my own lock, but it was easily picked. 

They gave me my own floor, but the distance was not enough. 

I gave myself my own home, but I was too weak to stay there. 

Life gave me a chance to go away, but I had to come back. 

Then someone gave me three blocks of wood. 

Perfectly cut. 

A brace that I cannot even force my way through. 

Tonight, my door will stay shut. 

Tonight, I am safe. 

Tonight, in the home of my family, for the first time in eleven years,

I sleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

     Tonight, I am safe. 
     Safe.

     Psalm 4:8: "In peace I will lie down and sleep, for You alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety."

     Lord, I don't deserve this. 
     But You really love me this much?
     You send this to me?
     I have seen You bring one child in need to another who chooses to help, but I am still amazed. 
     I am safe tonight. 
     To simply say thank you would never be enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment